Name : Janneke Sindram

Construction date : 16 augustus 1989

Record(s) 200m :  
Record(s) 1km :  
Record(s) 1 hour :  
  • World Record 2011: 46.505 km, Tyrfing unfaired

One bicycle, one hour

[Report of my record attempt]


In June 2011 I cycled a three hour-race at Cycle Vision. With an average speed of 43km/h, I won the race, as fastest women. Hans van Vugt congratulated me and in the same breath he said to me that he thought I could break the unfaired 1 hour womens world record. A new challenge was born. Not only for me, but also for Elan. A new bicycle would be built and Hans helped me preparing the one-hour attempt.


A few weeks later I was sweating on an indoor bike with someone beside me measuring I-don't-know-what-and-more. Hans had brought me to STAPS, Colonge. “ Yeah,” he had told me, “they'll write a good training scheme for you.” "But why is it necessary to go all the way to Germany for a training scheme?" I was wondering. "Well," the answer came, "because beside testing you and writing a good training scheme, they give the best explanation. In that way you can understand what is actually happening." I was a bit worried. Everything went so fast and because of the good race from Cycle Vision good test results were expected. Hans didn't share my worries and predicted good results, it turned out that he was right. Next step was for STAPS: writing the training scheme.

Back in the Netherlands from a hot but very nice holiday Hans loaned me an SRM for my own recumbent, I had the training scheme and I could start. 10 hours a week, including the weekends. Besides doing a full-time study and other stuff, that is quite a lot. It was indeed not always easy for me to train all the hours.
Training with an SRM added a new aspect to my cycling. I used to train on heart frequency, depending on that I changed my speed. But an SRM, on which you can see the power you're exerting from second to second, is something I had to get used to. I could immediately see if I had slept bad or short, and after a while I could 'read' from the SRM that I was not doing very well, or on the contrary, that I had a very good day. Once you know your values, an SRM can tell you a lot!
The second aspect I had to get used to was the cycling just for the cycling. I was always used to go to my parents or friends by bicycle. The bicycle was primary my way of transport. When in the past I was thinking 'still 10 more km to go', I was now thinking about alternative routes how to do that last 10 km in a way it would take an hour.

And I feel sorry about all the times I crossed villages with 35km/h just because I had to exert a certain power exactly at that moment. I didn't always feel like changing a lot just for one village.


The 30th of October came closer and closer. The last parts were added to the bicycle and the test rounds I made Friday night in Apeldoorn didn't seem fast enough. Some details would be changed and Sunday was coming fast. At 10 o'clock I was at the track to do a little test. My attempt would be at 18:15, which meant a whole day of waiting. I couldn't sit down for one minute and I was jumping and running all over the place. After Pieter's attempt I decided to escape the situation and to go anywhere else but the track. Outside I could relax a bit. I called my parents to remember them which day it was and to invite them. Okay, they decided to come.

Time was ticking away and suddenly it was almost time. I had put my training music on the computer, changed clothes and started my warming up. My bicycle was waiting for me with faster wheels than before and I was waiting to start. Energy was everywhere, I felt like exploding.


At the very last moment I finally saw my mother entering the track, I ran to her, gave her a hug and went back to my bike. I was very happy to see her, my father, brother and, surprisingly, my aunt and uncle.

Hans started me. The first seconds you can give all you have, that doesn't matter for later. So I just gave it all and within one round I had a speed of 46 km/h. But I was still going faster. I knew I had to slow down, but I could not resist the temptation to go, go, go. When I was going over 50 km/h I forced myself to slow down. With a nice speed of 47 km/h I heard the public screaming “FASTER FASTER” “Nope, I thought, I'm definitely not going faster, this is a nice speed, I would be happy if I can keep it up like this.” After fifteen minutes I was in a nice rhythm. I saw the time ticking by, but 45 minutes was still a long time. A few minutes later I heard my own music I always used for training coming loudly out of the loudspeakers. It gave me such an unexpected rush, that I went even faster and for a few very nice moments I felt like flying. The music was my wings.

But nevertheless I was very happy when I saw 30 minutes appearing on the board. Half the time had passed, which was good, because not much later I saw my speed falling down. Where the board showed me a nice 47 every round, now I could only get values about 46 km/h. My favourite music album was finished and the next started just really slowly and gentle. “MUSIC” I screamed twice to the people at the sideline. But it took a long time before I heard the music and even then, that perfect feeling I had before didn't come back. The first time I saw my speed getting lower than the speed of the old record I wasn't worried. My average speed was high enough. But it happened more and more and at a certain moment I couldn't even get my speed above the old record. A very yellow 45 was watching me every round.


I heard Hans talking in the microphone and I understood he was actually encouraging the public to support me. In the mean time I was going crazy. Why was I actually doing this? I promised myself never to do it again. Why didn't I stop? I was going too slow for such a long time, my average must have been under the old record. I don't know why I didn't stop. I think I wanted to show that I can go on. I wanted to show I could go to the limit.


Everyone was screaming and supporting. My mother was there every round to say that I could do it and Gerard was there just giving me two thumbs up. Thank you two very much. But I couldn't stay on a nice, straight line anymore. It became more and more difficult to ride in an acceptable line. I decided to take it easy for a very short moment. I had to calm down. I started concentrating at the power the SRM showed me in stead of the speed. I picked myself up, I knew my values and I knew which power I could reach. I forced myself to do it. And I picked up the good line again to drive at the track. “Last 6 minutes” I heard Hans saying. 6 more minutes. Why didn't I stop? It was all over, I was going too slow. I was convinced. But what is exactly the moment that you do stop? It is like cycling outdoors. You need to stop to do something, but at every tree, you decide to stop at the next tree and at the end you never stop. So I didn't stop. I got to the last 3 minutes, I could not stop anymore. Not in the last 3 minutes. But what a very long last 3 minutes. It is an inexpressible experience. Every round you ride like the last, but after every last round there is another last round. Finally, finally I heard the bell for the last round. The last energy, the last force I had I gave. I passed the finish and stopped paddling. After one round I saw the public jumping and shouting and all sorts of other things. I assumed, more or less surprised, that I must have broken the record. Otherwise the public would not react like this. Right? Well, next round I was sure and I became happy. I finished the round (and almost hit the inner boarding because I was incapable to steer straight). A bit too fast I reached Rob, told him to stop me and not let me fall.

Did I make it?” - “Yes”


Happily I relaxed on my bicycle. I don't remember what and in which order the following things happened, but that is not important anymore.